Thursday, December 17, 2009

Class Review

Since our class have studied about owl and the owl pellet, I learned a lot of things about it. I have learned that they redurgigate the bones and the fur of eaten animal. The teeeth and the feather are compressed in a pellet too. The food they eat were clothes, moths, carpet beetles and fungi. according to mrs.sunny, owl has 2 stomaches called glandular stomach and the muscular stomach. Glandular stomach is where the owl digest the food, and the muscular stomach is where they make the pellet and store them for about 10~20 hours. I also learned that owl eats their food as whole because they're not able to che it since they don't have a teeth. According to a information i found in google, owl has np crop unlike othr birds. Crop is a loos sac in the throat that serves as storage for foof for later consumption. Since they don't have crop, they passes the food directly into thieer digestive systrm. Also, owl pellets differ from other birds of prey in that they contain a grater proportion of food residue. The reason why is that the owl's digestive juices are lessacidic than in other birds of prey.


We formed a group of 2 or 3 and then chose one of the pellet from the peller pile. At first we just recorded the length, width, and the mass of the pellet, but then we softly broke the pellet in to half and started to seperate the bones from the fur and am putting the bones together. We also took a look at the animal that owl regurated. Me and my group found 3 skulls in our pellet, and I thought it was very interesting. I was very surprised when I counted all the ribs that were in the pellet. there was about 50 of them. This was really fun and interesting experiment and it was pretty amazing how many animals can be in one owl pellet, and how many bones there could be in one owl pellet.

No comments: